Understanding CentiMorgans and Relationships
A comment which appears many times a day on DNA discussion groups is “DNA does not lie…”
- DNA does not “lie”, but it does not often give a crystal clear answer either.
- Even with a close DNA match, there will still be several possible ways in which the two of you might be related.
- To work out which relationships might be relevant you need to consider:
- the amount of cMs
- relationships this could represent
- which options would work for your search – consider shared matches, people’s ages, locations, known facts about the families.
Ancestry’s categorisation of matches often causes confusion…
Useful Resources for working out your relationship to a DNA Matches:
(reproduced with permission)
The documents below offer more details about interpreting DNA and relationships: